Moving Tips – Storage & Removals
Fort Knox Self Storage WA is a family-owned storage facility based in O’Connor (near Fremantle). We offer a range of safe and secure self storage units and movable sea containers (which are always ready to ship).
Tips to help you move home or office.
- The key to a successful move is organization, we are as keen as you are to get your move completed as smoothly and quickly as possible. Here are a few tips That will help you get organized before the day of the move:
- Start packing as early as possible – it will probably take longer than you think!
- When packing your boxes, put heavy items such as books/wine/cds etc in smaller boxes and lighter items such as clothing, plastic, toys etc. in bigger boxes.
- Use proper moving cartons of just a few varying sizes, they are stronger and also boxes the same size take no time to stack (as opposed to 50 boxes all different sizes) thus reducing your removal costs.
- Label boxes clearly; contents, whether fragile, destination room at drop off etc.
- Put everything that fits in a box, in a box! Small fiddly things are actually what takes up more space and takes more time.
- Bundle up garden tools bed slats etc with tape
- Drain fuel from lawn mowers, clean grease from bbq and disconnect gas
- Disconnect washing machine and drain, fridge can be left on until the end of the load.
- Make sure any overhead obstructions are cleared from any drive/lane way leading up to your house
- Flat pack furniture should be disassembled…we can do it for you!
- Arrange suitable parking bays for removal truck if required prior to the move
- Do not water pot plants at least 24 hours before moving.
- Wrap artwork and pictures appropriately or consider using our professional packers. Our removalists are fully trained and can also wrap and pack your valuables on site.
- Before our removalists close their doors, do a final inspection of all rooms, cupboards, wardrobes and shed/garage to make sure nothing is left behind.
- RELAX! Your move is fully under control.
- Pack tightly and efficiently to make the most of your storage area
- Most couches should be stored on end
- Label all boxes on all sides for easy recognition
- Protect mattresses and furniture with padding and covers
- Wrap mirrors and pictures with paper padding or use mirror boxes. Don’t store flat.
- Store valuables such as electronic equipment toward the rear of the unit
- Items you may need more often, store at the front
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors slightly open and make use of this storage space inside. Be sure to clean before storing.
- Make a plan where you want to place your goods before you store.